February 2018 CVCC North Shore Challenge
CVCC Entry Deadline: Midnight Saturday February 03, 2018
Submit Digital Images to Ed Wiebe at: email@example.com
CVCC Entries Judging: 7PM Tuesday, February 06,2018
Digital image files from scanned slides, scanned colour negatives, scanned black and white negatives or directly from digital cameras will be accepted. All images must be consistent in working space (colour gamut), pixel size, file name, and format. Images must be in JPEG or JPG format.
Submissions will be projected on a top of the line Professional Digital Projector.
The size of image that can be projected is a maximum width of 1400 by a maximum height of 1050 pixels (native SXGA+).
To insure that your digital images conform to standard, please follow these directions:
- Set your working space to the sRGB standard. (This is the colour gamut that is specific to viewing on monitors and for projection to screen).
- For your digital image, set the size of your edited image as the last step. If using Photoshop, go to Image>image size > resize. Ensure that both the constrain proportions and resample boxes are checked.
- a) For a horizontal image, set pixels dimensions to a maximum width of 1400. Do not adjust the height as it will adjust automatically.
- b) For a vertical or square image, set pixels dimensions to a maximum height of 1050. Do not adjust the width as it will adjust automatically.
- c) Click O (Do not be concerned about document size, resolution, or file size. Leave this information as is.)
- Now you can sharpen your image suitable for digital projection. Do not over-sharpen.
- Be sure your monitor is calibrated. We will not make colour corrections or other adjustments to the submitted digital files.
- Finally, save the file as a high resolution (12) JPEG (.jpg) file. Do not save as jpg files during editing as image quality will be lost. Save as a jpg file once and only after all changes have been made.
- Do not put any copyright information or any text on the image.
For example, the file name John Smith-Bird on Stick.jpg
CONDITIONS OF ENTRY FOR CLUBS
- Photographers participating in Challenge 2018 must be permanent residents of British Columbia or the Yukon Territories.
- Each club entry must contain 6 images from 6 different club members. All images must be submitted in a digital format.
- There is no restriction in subject matter. However an image submitted to a previous North Shore Photographic Challenge is not eligible.
- Digital entries must conform to the specifications outlined in the Digital Specifications Guide (see attached).
- The top one hundred scoring images will be posted to an online gallery on the NSPS website. Entering the competition indicates that the image-maker has given permission to have his or her image duplicated. Images may be used in advertising future Challenge events.
- Images will be scored from 1 to 9 points by each of three judges. The image with the highest number of points will be awarded the CAPA Gold Medal and will be eligible for the Best of Show NSPS Gold medal. The two next highest scoring images will be awarded second and third place CAPA medals. The top 10% of the images will be awarded honourable mention ribbons. If a tie occurs for the top three images, judges will re-evaluate to determine the winner.
The top scoring club will be presented with the North Shore Challenge Trophy.
Images submitted by individuals must be received by February 11th, 2018
Each individual photographer may submit up to 3 images, which will be pre-screened by a panel of qualified judges. From the 3 images, the panel will select at most 1 to compete in the Challenge.
To enter, individual entrants will upload up to 3 images on the NSPS website at http://www.nsps.ca/challenge/ (entries open on December 1, 2017) and pay a non-refundable $15 entry fee through PayPal. Individuals may also purchase a cost-saving bundle that includes the entry fee and admission to the Challenge for only $25.
Note: there is no guarantee that any of an individual’s images will be included as finalists in the Challenge competition.
All images must be the original work of the entrant.
Any image entered in the North Shore Photographic Challenge in previous years is disqualified.
Individual entrants are not required to be CAPA members.
A photographer whose work is included in a club entry may also enter different images as an Individual.
Once again, this event will be held at the Kay Meek Centre for the Performing Arts (www.kaymeekcentre.com) in West Vancouver on Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 7:00 pm.