CVCC Image Critique Night – January 17, 2018
January 17 @ 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Come to discuss the good and potentially improvable aspects of CVCC member images.
- Each member can submit up to 3 images (with proposed image titles) on any topic for feedback by sending them as 1400×1050 jpegs to firstname.lastname@example.org anytime between Jan 1 and Jan 14. Please designate them in order of preference from #1 to #3 and indicate if there is a category (Nature, B&W, Portrait, etc.) the image is intended for (if any).
- The images will be sorted randomly with the #1 image from everyone first, followed by #2, and if there is time, #3. At our Jan 17 meeting, images will be shown on the club projector. During Critique, the image category and title, but not the maker’s name, is read out – similar to competition conditions.
- First, the image will be briefly reviewed by one of two qualified judges (reviewers) and then the floor thrown open for audience input. We will aim for a total time for each image of 2 minutes.
- It is not personal — it is all about the image. Critiques are just opinions; there are no right or wrong answers and not everybody will agree with every point. Critiques generally aren’t about scores, they are about what observations experienced reviewers and audience members can make.
- It is important that feedback be constructive: what works and which areas the maker might consider making changes to.
- Experience shows that everyone (makers, audience and reviewers) learns a lot from hearing comments about presented images.
- Even the reviewers may submit images they would like feedback on. One reviewer will comment on odd numbered images and the other even numbered so they should not know whose work they are commenting on. For this first critique, the reviewers will be Cim MacDonald and Tony Paine. In the future we hope to involve other reviewers.
- Everyone is encouraged to submit at least one image. It can be a new or old image as you like. It is generally a good idea to attend the Critique in person as there aren’t the resources to record comments on your image if you are away.